Optimizing a Multi-National Bank's Customer Experience with Data Insights
Transforming Customer Experience with Data Insights for a Multi-National Bank
Imagine the challenge of managing a multi-national bank with operations spread across ten African countries. That was the scenario faced by our team between 2018 and 2019 as we embarked on an ambitious project for a Pan-African Bank. With branches in South Africa, Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Zambia, Uganda, Mozambique, Tanzania, Mauritius, and the Seychelles, the bank required a comprehensive data solution to consolidate and analyze customer information.
In this case study, we explore how our team overcame significant challenges and implemented a powerful solution that revolutionized customer experience.
The Three Key Challenges
Our team encountered three critical challenges during this project, each demanding unique solutions:
1. Data Integration: The first obstacle was integrating multiple databases from different banks with varying schemas. Harmonizing these disparate sources of information was crucial for gaining meaningful insights and unlocking the full potential of the data.
2. Data Governance: To ensure compliance with the bank's strict data governance standards, we needed to establish robust controls and audit frameworks. Safeguarding customer information and adhering to regulatory requirements were essential components of this endeavor.
3. Business Requirements and Stakeholder Management: Meeting the diverse needs of multiple business units, including retail, business, and corporate banking, was a complex task. Effective stakeholder management played a pivotal role in aligning expectations and delivering a solution that met the specific requirements of each unit.
To address these challenges, our team focused on providing customer insights that would enable the bank to target high-potential customers more effectively, thereby increasing profitability.
Here are some of the key aspects of our solution:
1. Single View of Customer (SVOC): We developed a comprehensive system that consolidated customer data from various sources. This SVOC allowed relationship managers to gain a holistic understanding of each customer, enabling personalized interactions and tailored product recommendations.
2. Profitability Dashboards: Our solution provided dynamic dashboards that showcased profitability across multiple products, market segments, transactions, and channels. Armed with these insights, the bank could make informed decisions to optimize revenue generation.
3. Customer and Account Behavior Tracking: By analyzing historical customer and account behavior, the bank gained valuable insights into trends and patterns. This information was instrumental in identifying opportunities for cross-selling, upselling, and personalized marketing campaigns.
4. Sweet-Spot Analysis: Our solution included an advanced analytics model that identified the most profitable product mixes. This analysis enabled the bank to prioritize investment in products that delivered the highest returns.
5. Competitor Benchmarking: Through industry competitor analysis, we enabled the bank to compare its performance against other players in each market. This benchmarking exercise provided valuable insights at both balance sheet and income statement levels.
6. Dormancy Prediction Models: Leveraging advanced analytics, our solution offered models that predicted customer dormancy. By identifying customers at risk of becoming dormant, the bank could take proactive measures to retain their business.
The successful implementation of our solution involved a combination of technical expertise and innovative tools:
1. Data Architecture: We developed a five-level operational data store (ODS) that fed into a consolidated data warehouse. This architecture ensured efficient data integration and storage, laying a solid foundation for comprehensive analytics.
2. Business Intelligence Portal: To deliver insightful reports and visualizations, we built a bespoke HTML5 portal. This portal served as a hub for business intelligence, enabling stakeholders to access advanced visualizations and extract actionable insights.
3. Data Governance Framework: To meet the bank's rigorous data governance standards, we established stringent controls and audit mechanisms. These measures ensured data privacy, security, and regulatory compliance throughout the system.
The implementation of our solution harnessed a wide range of cutting-edge technologies:
Microsoft SQL Server 2017 database provided a robust and scalable foundation for data storage and retrieval.
Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) facilitated seamless data integration across diverse databases.
Microsoft SQL Server Analytics Services (SSAS) (OLAP) empowered comprehensive analysis and reporting capabilities.
Microsoft R Services supported advanced analytics modeling, enabling predictive and prescriptive insights.
Tableau Desktop and Server (v10.4) were leveraged for interactive and visually appealing data visualizations.
HTML5/Angular was employed to develop a user-friendly and responsive business intelligence portal.
Git Source Control Management ensured version control and collaboration during the development process.
Results and Impact
The holistic, integrated implementation of our solution resulted in significant achievements for the Pan-African Bank. By having a single view of customers and driving profitability in both retail and corporate banking sectors, the bank realized the following outcomes:
1. Enhanced Customer Experience: With a comprehensive understanding of each customer, the bank could provide personalized services and product offerings, leading to improved customer satisfaction and loyalty.
2. Increased Revenue Generation: The profitability dashboards enabled the bank to identify lucrative opportunities, optimize product portfolios, and improve cross-selling effectiveness. As a result, the bank experienced a notable increase in revenue.
3. Market Expansion: By leveraging data insights, the bank successfully identified and attracted new customers. Additionally, proactive measures based on dormancy prediction models helped retain existing customers and prevent churn.
The success of this multi-year, cross-border data warehouse project for the Pan-African Bank demonstrates the immense value of data analytics and its ability to profoundly enhance the customer experience.
Through our comprehensive solution, the bank gained valuable insights, motivated its relationship managers, and enhanced profitability across various business units. By utilizing leading-edge technologies and adopting robust data governance practices, the bank emerged as a leader in the African banking landscape.
DOWNLOAD THE CASE STUDY
Contact us to learn more about how we can help your organization unlock the full potential of your data and drive meaningful business outcomes.